Monday, April 17, 2017

Iguana Investigator

Hola todos! Buenas tardes from Yucatan!

This week was exciting as usual, nothing is boring in the mission! I officially have 2 months in the mission, and I can´t even believe where the time has gone! 

I probs offended a bunch of people this week, as I am slowly learning what´s polite and what´s not in mexico. There was a funeral procession and I happily gave my best missionary wave, promising hope and eternal salvation with my smile, and my compañera whacked my arm and chewed me out for not respecting the dead. Whoops. And of course there are tons of language mistakes. I now know 2 new swear words in Spanish, from experience, haha. One super fun thing is that we´ve been teaching mini classes in English. It´s super fun to teach people slang like, "No way," or "what´s up" and hear them use it with their thick accents. One little boy kept asking over and over and over "como se dice....?" and pointing to random objects. Uhhhh....dirty sock? Too funny. We´ve also been having little games to build up our courage to talk with people. This week we had a contest that whoever could tell more people that we were Mormon Missionaries, the loser had to buy the other a pizza for dinner. Desafortunada mente, I was the loser. And of course, because we´re in Mexico, the pizza had salsa and chile. EVERYTHING is eaten with chile here. It´s kinda ridiculous but also super rico. 

This week we focused on finding the Lord´s Escogidos, or people who are prepared to hear our message. The hard part is that every time we find someone who want´s to learn more, they live in the other areas. Whyyy?? But we´ve had some really good conversations in the streets and it's good practice for me. 

One funny experience is that we were teaching a lesson to this 12 year old girl, Jaqui, and she was very distracted because she had caught an iguana. This family has 5 dogs, a bird, a rabbit, a turtle, and now an iguana. She had it in a Coca cola bottle and it was very distracting. We named him Iggy Iguana. There are lots of iguanas here, the one she caught is one of the smallest. They can be huge!! And they live in the sewers. It´s actually pretty creepy, it´s like there are dinosaurs roaming the streets. 

I had a miracle with my watch! I lost my watch and went a whole day without it. My watch tan faded a little bit and my wrist felt very bare. But the next day, I said a prayer and within seconds I knew that it had fallen into my bag! I know that if the Lord can help me find my lost watch, how much more can he help us find a lost soul? He truly knows everything and is waiting to help us, we just need to ask. Very sweet moment was singing " I know that My Redeemer Lives" with this blind, deaf, 95 year old man. He can´t hear, but he knew the words and sang along with us. I almost cried. We didn´t have any big Easter activities or festivities here, but we had quiet moments of comfort and peace that I know are the direct result of the Atonement. I know that Christ lives, that he understands us perfectly, and that his arms are outstretched to help us.

Anyway, we´re working hard! I´m having fun and learning from my mistakes everyday. I´m a little concerned that I won´t be able to return to the USA, because everyone is making comments about Trump and "su presidente es loco..." but if not I feel like maybe I could have a home in Mexico! First I need to learn how to speak Spanish...but I´m working on that! It´s beautiful here and next week I think we´re going to visit some ruins, Ek Balam, for PDay! We´re also learning a lot of Maya from our investigator Jacinto! 

Good times. If you want to read some beautiful scriptures about missionary work, Mosiah 27:35 and 28:7 comforted me this week!

I love you all! Adios por ahora!
Hermana Schwartz

Fotos:
The wonders of carne asada, making homemade tortillas, beautiful Tizimin, me in my hammock, iguana in a bottle. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment