Monday, May 1, 2017

Bautismo de Amber y Chichen Itza!!

Hola mi familia y amigos!! Como estan?

This week was awesome because we went to Cancún! We were there for a few days for my Generation Meeting, and learned a lot from Presidente Reynoso and his wife. It was so nice to talk with the other newbies and see how they´re coming in their training, and especially to get advice from the American trainers, who understand a little better that challenges of learning Spanish. We wore cute matching blusas and looked muy bonita y Mexicana! It was super fun and I felt very Yucateca strolling around crazy Cancun in my floral shirt. 

My trainer and I talked a lot this week about what things we can improve and how we can have success in this area. It really comes down to exact obedience and open communication. I have a lot of American habits that just aren´t gonna fly here in Mexico, haha. 

After the Reuníon de Generacion, we returned to the casa to find a cucaracha fiesta!! They invaded our house in our absence and it was honestly so gross, haha! I think there were 15 in total. Mom, we don´t have scorpions here ,just alacrans, which are un poco menos dangerous. 

But it was awesome because Amber was baptized!!!! She´s such a special daughter of God, and I´m so proud of her for the decision she made! She doesn´t look super happy in the photo because she´s a little shy and was pretty nervous that most of the ward showed up to watch her baptism. But there were so many people because everyone was so HAPPY. She´s 15 years old, very sweet, and loves the scriptures. She was confirmed the following Sunday, and we´re ecstatic that everything went well with her baptism. The cutest part was that her CRAZY, talkative, energetic 6 year old brother watched so intently when she was baptized. He told us after "Amber was baptized, I want to be baptized too! Is it my turn?" Haha, in two years, buddy! 

We also got to go to CHICHEN ITZA this week! It was sooooo amazing! I felt so cool standing so close to the ancient pyramids, thinking about the incredible civilization that used to exist here. It really is evidence that there were people here, and that the Book of Mormon is true. We ran into the LDS tour guide, Lemuel, and he showed us where there´s a baptismal font, the temple, and a carved image of a "shining, tall, white bearded God." They call him Kukulcan, but it´s pretty evident that it´s Jesucristo. It was really cool to go to Chichen and learn more about the history and culture in this beautiful area. I had a really hard time saying "no" to the souvenir people and ended up spending way to much money...but hey, gotta have souvenirs, right?

I´m really growing to love the people here. They are so giving, with their food, their time, and their homes. The members are awesome and it´s so fun to realize that I can laugh and talk with people in SPANISH! One really special investigator is Reina. She´s been waiting for almost a year now to be baptized, but she isn´t married to her husband. She doesn´t really see a future with him, but she wants to stay with him for the sake of her son. It´s a really hard situation, but she´s so so so Buena because she understands that this hard choice is a trial of her faith, and she knows that when she finally is baptized it´s going to be so worth it. We can´t do much more to help her except comfort here and encourage her to pray for guidance. But her testimony is so strong and I learned so much from her in our last visit. 

I love Tizimin! It´s fun to go to Cancún or Chichen, but it´s more fun to return to this quiet little city, with all of it´s quirks and challenges. I´m so grateful for the opportunity to serve here, for my trainer who is the perfect mix of strict and compassionate, and even for the heat! It reminds me that God´s love is constant. My scripture that helped the most for this week is Collosians 3:13, which really helped me and my compañera. 

Thanks for the prayers, emails, and todo su ayuda! Everything happens for a reason, God loves you, and missions are truly inspired! Que se cuiden!

Con mucho amor, :)
Hermana Schwartz
 

Amber's baptism


Chichen Itza!


Chichen Itza

A nice couple from Idaho Falls


cucaracha fiesta

No comments:

Post a Comment