Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Silver Linings, Miracle Sodas, and BAPTISMS!

Okay, where to begin? How have you all been? I know school is starting up again and I hope everyone is doing well with that! This week has been one of the most impactful of my entire mission, to date. I´ve got lots of stories so sit down, buckle up, and enjoy. :)

First of all, it´s been super crazy "training" and teaching Hermana Beckstead the area. She basically came here very well trained, so basically we just talk about how she´s been feeling, laugh, and work hard. But it´s really shown me how much I do know the area. I prayed before she got here that I could get to know the area better, and let me tell you, God answers prayers. He sent me the biggest test of all, having to navigate everything and teach it to someone else! In short, we got lost a lot this week. But that led to some pretty cool miracles. The other day when we were coming back from our district meeting, we got totally lost on the way to our lunch appointment. I totally forgot where the member lived! And we had been fasting in the morning so that all of the investigators with fechas bautismales could get baptized. In short, we were hot, hungry, thirsty, and lost! I started to feel super bad, because I honestly had no idea where to go. We stopped in the shade and I was literally trying not to cry, and a guy passed by us and said "buenas tardes." He suddenly came back a few seconds later, and said, "Excuse me, I just really feel like you could maybe use a cold drink." He just happened to have two cold sodas that he was carrying, and he gave them to us for free! I just thanked him and started crying because it was literally exactly what we needed in that moment. I felt an outpouring of my Heavenly Father´s love and I knew that he was aware of us and willing to help us. We were able to find the relief society presidents house, and from there we got directions and made it to lunch. I will never forget this experience. I know that God hears our prayers, it´s just "usually through another person that he meets our needs." 

It was also super beautiful, because we were wandering around trying to find new people to teach, and we saw the most beautiful silver lining. The sun behind the clouds literally made it look like silver! I´ve never seen anything like that, and it was a great reminder of how any situation has a bright side. 

We were immensely blessed this week because we found a CASA! The elders from our ward talked to a member that´s less active, and he´s moving to Ukraine of all places! And he just wants someone to stay in his house and take care of it while he´s gone for a few years!! It´s a beautiful house that we could never afford, but he´s giving it to us and we just need to pay for water and light. It´s literally the answer to so many prayers and I feel so blessed that we will be able to stay there! He´s also leaving all of his furniture and the cupboards full of food. Hallelujah!

BUT the highlight of the week by far is that SAMMY AND CARLOS BOTH GOT BAPTIZED!! I´m so excited!!!! Here´s how it happened. First of all, Samantha is just an angel child. Her parents are less active members, but she and her sister wanted to start going to church. So they go with her grandparents. Her family contacted us, organized everything, and we taught her all of the lessons in literally just a week. And she understands everything perfectly! She passed the baptism interview with flying colors, got baptized in the white dress her grandma got sealed in, and is the most precious convert I´ve ever had the privelige to teach. The Lord put her in our path and it was amazing. 

And then there´s Carlos! He´s my favorite too. He´s 16 and super shy, but from the first visit he´s been willing to read, act, and pray. His prayers literally melt my heart because he prays that he will have a good life and never fall in bad paths. I know that Heavenly Father is so proud of him for his good decisions and will bless him. We were so worried that he wouldn´t be able to get baptized because he traveled and couldn´t make it to church on Sunday. But everything worked out! We visited his half sister, who told us that he got home early! And then we went with him, asked if he wanted to keep working for the 18th of August, and he said yes! From there, we were finally able to contact his mom and she gave her permision! 

Anyway, so this week was just one little miracle after another. I can´t even describe how amazing it is to be a part of this work. I´m so grateful for all of the opportunites that God gives us to serve, to learn, and to grow. 

Hermana Beckstead is probably going home this week, but she has been an amazing companion and I´m so grateful for her! I know that all of the miracles happened so that she could have the best possible experience here and that God has a plan for her. She´s that best. Mucho amor para ella. 

Well, I´m out of time but thank you all for your love and support! Have an excellent week and never doubt that God loves you, knows you, and will answer your prayers!

Hasta luego,
Hermana Schwartz

PS. I finally tried cow stomach and it´s super nasty! And we made a tres leches cake and it was very delicious. Two very different Mexican foods. I´m sure you can tell which one I prefer. ;)​


















No comments:

Post a Comment