Thursday, March 2, 2017

Yo Soy Hermana Schwartzenegger

Holllaaaaa!!

Buenos tardes everyone! Wow, what a week! 

Everyday here has ups and downs, but luckily a lot more ups than downs. I know that this is where I´m supposed to be! I don´t have my journal with me so hopefully I can remember all of the crazy missionary adventures that occurred this past semana (week)!

First of all--apparantly all of the Latinos are in love with me. This one guy talked to me and I thought he wanted me to take a photo of him and his companion, but then it turns out he just wanted my email. Sooo that was interesting. But then at lunch one day some hermanas were talking about a latino Elder we call ¨Tanqo Pequeno" (little tank) because he is super macho and buff but SUPER short who has a crush on a "tall, beautiful american hermana." I thought, it´s gotta be Hermana Duke because she is 6 feet tall and incredibly gorgeous. But THEN they said, "He calls her Hermana Schwartzenegger because he doesn´t know how to say her name!" I just blushed and died laughing! It makes me muy uncomfy, haha. So we always joke about El Tanque Pequeno and Hermana Schwartzenegger. Poor guy. I always just say "SOY UN MISIONERA. NO TENGO UN NOVIO!" Gotta stay focused, I can´t be distracted by 4'5 Elders.  

We spent a lot of time in the Enfermeria this week because my comp kept having health issues for various reasons. I´m practically besties with the doctors by now, and got to speak a lot of Spanish with them. Spanish is super fun and we have all these random inside jokes as a district in Español. We always say, "Bien Hecho!" to everything, and sing the Dora song with a weird accent everytime we go to a new activity. "Come on vamanos! Err´body lesgo!" 

I made some pretty hilarious language mistakes this week. So, Hermana Kragen accidently kicked my ankle REALLY hard while we were playing soccer. I was okay, and it was hilarious because she is tiny but mighty. Don´t mess with her, haha! Anyway, I was trying to tell the Latina hermanas I´m friends with that she kicked my ankle, "tubillo" and I accidently said "tiburon" which means SHARK. It. was. so. funny. They were laughing so hard and joking that we played soccer with a shark. I will never forget the right word for ankle again!  I also accidently said I was FROM cancún, not GOING to cancún, This language is the bomb, haha. The cutest word I've learned is that Sunbeams (like the youngest class in primary) are called "Rayitas de Sol." Isn´t that precious?? You can add -ito to any word to make it sound cute. The shortest elder in our district has started calling himself "Elder Bedell-ito" as a joke. 

The comedor served hamburgers the other day and all of us Americans had a mini fiesta when we saw them. They also served flan one night, which I loved! We got our hands dirty and washed dishes on Tuesday for our service project. Everyone needed to wear a little mask and a hairnet to keep things sanitary, and Hermana Addington and Hermana Salazar kept their masks on after we finished. We were near the edge of the wall and started waving at people in the city. It probably looked like we were in some place for crazy people, because they had these masks on, were behind a barbed wire wall, and we were just laughing and waving at everyone. 

Hands down the coolest experience of the week was the devotional with Presidente Bennett, the MTC president. He started his remarks by saying he was going to be bold, and then he just threw down about obedience, faith, and how he wants us to leave this MTC ready to do the Lords work. It was exactly what I needed to hear. A couple sentences he said were literally direct revelation for me. He and his wife are incredible examples and lead the MTC well. I can really feel their love for us. He gave my companion a blessing when she was having a really rough time and it was absolutely incredible to hear. A lot of girls were all in the room, and everyone said it helped them even though we didn´t personally receive the blessing. It was truly inspired, and we were all a crying mess afterward because we felt the spirit and so much love. 

Hermana Salazar and I taught the Relief Society lesson this week, and it was on Personal Revelation. So that topic was on my mind all week and I´m still really thinking about it. I know that if we ask God with a sincere heart, he WILL give us an answer. This week for me was all about going back to the basics and reinforcing my testimony. God hears our prayers and is waiting with outstretched arms to give us the help and support that we need. The scriptures, other people, the temple, and simple prayer are all resources to communicate with our loving Heavenly Father. 

This will probably make this email super long, but I really want to tell you all about the amazing Hermanas in my district. Skip this if you´re not interested. :)

Hermana Salazar: Mi compañera! Her grandpa is from Mexico so people ask her if she is Latina, but she is definitely, definitely American haha. She´s from California and is going to Mexico City South. She wears sparkly sandals around the apartment, has ten minute bursts of energy, and has such a sweet testimony. 

Hermana Kragun: This is the one that kicked me. She is really short but super feisty, and is seriously one of the smartest people I have ever met! She knows so much about the gospel and is picking up spanish faster than any of us. Hermana Kragun tells it like it is!

Hermana Duke: She is Hermana Kragun´s companion and there has never been a more ironic pairing. Hermana Duke is 6´0, blonde, and honestly looks like a beautiful surfer babe. She and Hna Kragun are both going to California Modesto. Hermana Duke is super shy and very humble, and she is so sweet. I love having a fellow tall girl in my District!

Hermana Addington: Hermana Addington is our morale booster. She is stinking hilarious and you never quite know what she is going to say. She´s also going to Mexico City South, and is from Utah. She will paint our nails or just tell jokes and I love her so much. 

Hermana Beatty: This girl is just fantastic. She and I get along super well and I think she is just the cutest. She likes soccer, One Direction, and laughs at all my jokes. She has a boyfriend waiting for her at home, so we all wait for his letters because they are literally relationship goals. She´s also going to Mexico City South. It´s a popular place, apparantly because most of our hermanas are going there. 

The Elders in our district are super great too! They are awesome. Our whole district got a lot closer this week. But the girls are especially my biggest support system here and I am so grateful for them. 

Anyway, I count my blessings everyday I´m here. The work is hard and our days are packed. Someone told us that the MTC is like a vacation compared to the field and all of our jaws dropped. They seriously pack our schedules sooo tight. But I know that the Lord would not assign me to labor or call me to do something that I can´t accomplish with his help.When it gets hard, I think of the Savior, and how He performed the greatest sacrifice of all. 18 months is "pan comido" compared to that. (A piece of cake!)  The gospel can literally change lives. Start with the basic, fundamental principles, and then ask God what he wants you to do. I know you can strengthen your testimony and feel His love!!

I love you all! Have a great week and look for God´s hand!
Mucho amor,
Hermana Schwartz

Pictures: (Sorry if you can´t view all of them! I'm not entirely sure how to fix that because Google Drive is blocked on mission computers!) :/
But yeah! I believe I included a bunch with the girls in my district, one of crazy Elder Uffens and Elder Stone in the comedor, one of Me and Hermana Kragun sitting on a weird statue, one of the beautiful CCM, one with our Sister Training Leaders Hermana Kurene and Hermana Huber, and one of my Cancún keychain I bought for my scripture bag. Sorry I´m so bad at labeling them, it´s hard because I can´t see them after I add them! Lo siento!














No comments:

Post a Comment